07 April 2012

My Current Read - a memoir by Amanda Beard

 




Have you ever tried to explain to people why you read the books you do? Have you ever been kind of ashamed to tell the truth?  I find myself attracted to books I can relate to, mentally, physically, emotionally. I am not sure if others find books based on that type of relationship, but I do. I find those that I can relate to more intriguing... knowing I am not alone in my struggles with life.

I don't share a lot about myself and many don't know much about me, but there are things that I keep hidden away, locked away, as so many people won't understand. This book I found, while "wandering". The overview hit me and struck a chord. The story of Amanda has so many similarities to my own life that I reserved it Wednesday morning and ran to get it at lunch. I haven't put it down since.

I found this book, while browsing Barnes & Noble. Amanda is an Olympic medalist, a world-class swimmer, a model, and a real person... battling depression, eating disorders, and self-destructive behavior,

"In this candid and ultimately uplifting memoir, Olympic medalist Amanda Beard reveals the truth about coming of age in the spotlight, the demons she battled along the way, and the new-found happiness that has proved to be her greatest victory."

If you get a chance, check it out. Even models and Olympic medalists have demons too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book. I love when books just sort of call to you and who says you have to explain? You don't. :)

Happy Easter. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...