06 October 2006

Multi-tasking as a Single Mom

Today was one, pretty much like all the others. Everyone wants everything..yesterday. I am a single mom who works full-time, so I need to get my school-age child ready, homework done, backpack filled, lunch made, projects done, and be as "friendly" as possible. I even have to be able to read his mind, know what he wants, and tell him where he left his shoes (that HE wore last) and where HE put his video game (when I told him to get to bed). Oh yes, as a mom, I have also been required to pass Mind-Reading 101 and Eyes In The Back of My Head 102. I am so used to doing so many things at once, that I have found sitting down to read a book is tuly an inconvenience for me - I'm not busy doing something productive, constructive, or just plainly... an absolute necessity in the figment of my mind. Even when I am the victim of technology, I have 2 computers going, checking emails, doing work, planning my teaching schedule, downloading music to my MP3, sending instant messages... and then I am texting on my phone as I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Let's not forget feeding my child, feeding the animals, doing my nails, watching (or listening to) a movie, and then trying to figure what I will do if I fall asleep and waste some of my time...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...