02 October 2006

Victim of Eating Disorders - Part I

Has anyone been a victim of an eating disorder? (I guess that's a loaded question, considering today's society if full of peer pressure and the pressure of the press to be thin...)

The world is so obsessed with beauty and outside appearances. What has driven us to this? Has it been the athletes we idolize? The stars we wish we could be like? The superstars who are constantly in the spotlight? I can honestly say that if you have never had to battle an eating disorder, no matter what kind, you CANNOT say that you understand. An eating disorder is the way for an obsessive compulsive personality to have just a little more control over things. I can speak from experience. At around 23 years old, I got totally into working out and getting fit. The world wanted women to be sexy and thin… so I started spending many days a week at the gym… and then combining it with not eating and drinking lots of water… I lost weight. It was awesome. I felt sexy… I felt great. At 5’9”, I was weighing in at around 140-lbs… which was well under the ideal weight for my height and frame… but the standards showed it being an ideal weight.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...